Author Topic: Optimizing your internet connection  (Read 3119 times)

Girl-In-Pigtails

• Financial Owner
Optimizing your internet connection
« on: November 24, 2016, 01:30:10 PM »
A quick and easy guide to optimize your internet connection. TheQue made this video, as usual, I am just posting it.

egandler

• Senior Officer
Re: Optimizing your internet connection
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 06:57:24 PM »
 Nagle’s Algorithm

Nagle’s algorithm combines several small packets into a single, larger packet for more efficient transmissions. This is designed to improve throughput efficiency of data transmission. Disabling “nagling” can help reduce latency/ping in some games. Nagle’s algorithm is enabled in Windows by default.

You will need to open REGEDIT and go to the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{NIC-id}

For the {NIC-id}, the easiest way is to first know what your current IP address is. Open up a command prompt (type cmd the windows search bar) and type "ipconfig -all" without the quotes. Once you have done that, simply look at the different interfaces and find the one that matches that IP address.

Now, you will need to add 3 registry values as DWORD.

TcpAckFrequency and set it to 1

TCPNoDelay and set it also to 1

TcpDelAckTicks and set it to 0

Note: This does not effect every game, as some games use a proprietary transmission method. However, I see a marked improvement in the situations in which it appears as though someone comes around a corner and shoots you in one shot. This does not eliminate it completely, but in my honest opinion, I see much less of this happening.

Network Throttling Index

Windows implements a network throttling mechanism, the idea behind such throttling is that processing of network packets can be a resource-intensive task. It is beneficial to turn off such throttling for achieving maximum throughput.

To implement this tweak, run REGEDIT as before and navigate to the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile.

As you did in the previous, Under SystemProfile, create a DWORD

NetworkThrottlingIndex without and set it's Hexadecimal value to ffffffff; this will disable throttling. This is pretty self explanatory; but in essence, modern computers do not suffer from a lack of resources dedicated to the network stack.

System Gaming Responsiveness

Multimedia streaming and some games that uses “Multimedia Class Scheduler” service (MMCSS) can only utilize up to 80% of the CPU. The “Multimedia Class Scheduler” service (MMCSS) ensures prioritized access to CPU resources, without denying CPU resources to lower-priority background applications.

To implement this tweak, run REGEDIT as befor and navigate to the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile.

As you did in the previous, Under SystemProfile, create a DWORD

SystemResponsiveness and set its hexadecimal value to 0 for pure gaming/streaming.

If you dig further into this tree you will find the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games

Change the following registry values to the following

GPU Priority change its values to 8 for gaming.

Priority set to 6 for gaming.

God Mode

One of the most favorite feature we love with Windows 10 is the God Mode. God Mode is a dedicated folder that lets you see all control panels in one place. To unlock this feature, all you have to do is right click on your desktop and create a new folder. Rename that folder to GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}.

If anyone needs assistance with any of these, just ask me on teamspeak. I can also teamviewer your computer and do it for you if you need.

There are many more things you can do to improve your system performance as a whole, but most of them are irrelevant as Battlefield 4 is neither memory or processor intensive. However, if someone has an older computer, there are some things that can be done to improve the performance. Let me know if that would be useful.

majinsnake

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the information, Egandler.

I was not aware that windows still limited how packets are sent. I know Windows XP was notorious for that.

majinsnake

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 04:16:29 AM »
@Egandler

None of those in the first tweak about Nagle's Algorithm matches the NIC-id of my ip address. I posted a screenshot. I am guessing the IP address is the first folder by default that would be my NIC-id under the Interface directory..

https://s15.postimg.org/6qitms7ln/picture1.jpg

cekim

• Senior Officer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 04:25:20 PM »
@Egandler

None of those in the first tweak about Nagle's Algorithm matches the NIC-id of my ip address. I posted a screenshot. I am guessing the IP address is the first folder by default that would be my NIC-id under the Interface directory..

https://s15.postimg.org/6qitms7ln/picture1.jpg
Click on each {XXXXXX-XXXXX} item and look to the right.  For any actually connected and assigned an IP, you will see lots of information - all the information you see on the command line with ipconfig /all in fact and then some for each interface.

Among the information there you should see the IP.  You may or may not have multiple NICs connected (wifi and wired for example), so keep clicking on them until you find the one that goes to the outside world.